What exactly is commissioning?
According to the American Society for Heating, Refrigerating and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) , “it is a quality-driven process for realising, evaluating and documenting that the performance of buildings, systems and assemblies meet initially well-defined objectives and criteria”.
It’s a meticulous process that is essential to ensure the quality and reliability of a new data centre.
“Done properly, commissioning improves system performance throughout the lifecycle of a data centre. Better system performance not only helps optimise data centre performance, but also lowers operating and on-going maintenance costs. It also helps to reduce energy consumption for lower electricity bills.” – Michael Donato, Data Centre Knowledge.
Commissioning includes different levels of testing:
- Level 1 : Factory Test or Factory Acceptance Test (FAT)
- Level 2 : Inspection or on-site acceptance test (SAT)
- Level 3 : Pre-functional testing (EPF) or component functional testing (EFC)
- Level 4 : Functional Performance Test (FT) or Functional System Test (FST)
- Level 5 : Integrated Systems Testing (IST)
Rentaload are generally engaged for levels 3, 4 and 5.
The optimised commissioning solution in 4 steps
Rentaload has been carrying out commissioning for datacentres for several years. This service includes, among other things:
- Drafting the test protocol upstream
- Carrying out on-site tests
- Data recording and processing
- Preparation of the final test report
SMART equipment and solutions
We have always been driven by the vision that commissioning can be done differently. This phase can be further optimised, in particular thanks to SMART equipment and solutions essential for the proper performance of the tests and support before and during the tests:
At the cutting edge of technology, they perfectly meet the needs and requirements of the end customers to optimize the tests for sure:
- low Delta T,
- Integrated TTY,
- load sharing 50/50
- feedback of extremely precise measurements.
- Save time in carrying out your tests (up to 20% according to feedback from our customers);
- Bring real added value to your tests. The data collected during the tests provide a real “vital map” of the data centre before its first commissioning.
- Differentiate yourself from competitors by enhancing this test phase and providing valuable data for the future management of the datacentre.